Camp Bowie Boulevard

$21.99
Usually ships within 1 week.
  • Overview
  • Details
  • Author
Overview
In the early 1890s, Humphrey Barker Chamberlin installed a lifeline to his namesake suburb west of the city. A trolley connected to Arlington Heights Boulevard at the Trinity River's Clear Fork and chugged across prairie land to reach Chamberlin Arlington Heights. Camp Bowie, a soldiers' city, sprawled over both sides of the road from 1917 until 1919. At the Great War's end, the stretch west of present-day University Drive became the commemorative Camp Bowie Boulevard. The 1920s brought twin ribbons of cordovan-colored brick pavement, the prestige of inclusion in the Bankhead Highway network, and westering developers of another elite village: Ridglea. Midway through the Great Depression, the Will Rogers complex arose on a farm tract, visible from the thoroughfare, to host Texas Centennial celebrations and a special livestock exposition. Museums began claiming adjacent space in the 1950s. By the second decade of the 21st century, Camp Bowie Boulevard bisected a built environment both modern and historic.
Details
ISBN: 9781467130493
Format: Paperback
Publisher: Arcadia Publishing
Date:
State: Texas
Series: Images of America
Images: 174
Pages: 128
Dimensions: 6.5 (w) x 9.25 (h)
Author
Fort Worth native Juliet George holds degrees in journalism and history from the University of Texas and Texas Christian University, respectively. A former archivist for the Dallas Jewish Historical Society, she currently serves on the Tarrant County Historical Commission, as an adjunct instructor of history at Weatherford College, and as a Spanish teacher at Springtown High School. Images in this book came from family albums, private collections, archives, libraries, and online resources.