Pflugerville

$21.99
  • Overview
  • Details
  • Author
  • Reviews
Overview
When the early settlers arrived in the 1850s, the Blackland Prairie was covered with four-foot sage grass on which buffalo grazed. Land was cleared, homes were built, crops were planted in the rich fertile soil, and cattle were driven, via the Chisholm Trail, to market in Kansas. The village of Pflugerville in northeast Travis County received its name in 1893 when postal service was approved. In 1904, the Missouri-Kansas-Texas Railroad established a depot on land donated by George Pfluger. The railroad was the economic engine that spurred the growth of the town, attracting new businesses and visitors. Diligent leaders established churches, schools, and support organizations, forming the firm foundation and core values that are still visible today. The football team received national recognition in 1962 for its 55 consecutive victories. Present visionary leaders face the challenges of another explosive boom in growth, providing support, opportunities, quality of life, and excellent education for Pflugervillians.
Details
ISBN: 9781467130806
Format: Paperback
Publisher: Arcadia Publishing
Date:
State: Texas
Series: Images of America
Images: 221
Pages: 128
Dimensions: 6.5 (w) x 9.25 (h)
Author
Authors Audrey T. Dearing, Vernagene H. Mott, and Pamela A. Stephenson have been active community volunteers for decades. Each possesses a passion for preserving local history and extends profound gratitude to those who generously shared their photographic treasures, taking us back in time to document Pflugerville's story.
Reviews