Nampa

$15.39
Usually ships within 1 week.
  • Overview
  • Details
  • Author
  • More About This Book
Overview
Nampa began as a railroad siding on the Idaho Central Railway in 1885. There was no town then, only a water tower and a few shacks. In 1886, however, Alexander Duffes incorporated the town of Nampa. A year later, the Boise & Idaho Railway was completed, and the town grew from 15 to 50 houses. By 1904, cultivated land reached 40,000 acres. The Deer Flat Reservoir, finished in 1909, irrigated 150,000 acres, and farms, livestock, and fruit orchards flourished across the desert. Canning and evaporating facilities were built to process local crops, and an iron foundry, lumber yards, and other industries helped the town grow to 1,500 people. Three railroads met in Nampa to transport local goods to the markets of the world. Today, Nampa is Idaho's second-largest city.
Details
ISBN: 9781467132121
Format: Paperback
Publisher: Arcadia Publishing
Date:
State: Idaho
Series: Images of America
Images: 222
Pages: 128
Dimensions: 6.5 (w) x 9.25 (h)
Author
Author Larry Cain has been a board member of the Canyon County Historical Society for 10 years. He holds a degree in history from the College of Idaho and has written three books on Canyon County history as well as many articles for local publications. The photographs within this volume stem mainly from the Canyon County Historical Society and the author's private collection.
More About This Book