Gilford

$21.99
  • Overview
  • Details
  • Author
Overview
Initially settled in 1777 within the town of Gilmanton, Gilford became incorporated on June 16, 1812. Gilford is different from surrounding towns because it originated as a farming settlement, with pastures being cleared as early as 1762. The construction of the Lake Shore Railroad brought many tourists, so residents built additional floors onto their homes and began offering lodging. Visitors flocked to the area to enjoy the beautiful Belknap Mountain Range, scenic roads and hiking trails, and the beaches and boat docks on Lake Winnipesaukee. Kimball Castle atop Locke's Hill is a focal point that has been viewed by generations of people traveling to Gilford and is noted for being one of the most haunted places in the state. The town remains a sought-after destination, with many people returning generation after generation. The historians of Gilford continue to work diligently to preserve the town's village, historic treasures, and past.
Details
ISBN: 9781467134149
Format: Paperback
Publisher: Arcadia Publishing
Date:
State: New Hampshire
Series: Images of America
Images: 196
Pages: 128
Dimensions: 6.5 (w) x 9.25 (h)
Author
Doris L. Chitty is a supervisor at Gilford Public Works, an elected cemetery trustee, and chair of the Candle Light Stroll Committee. Geoffrey B. Ruggles is finance director of Gilford, treasurer of Thompson-Ames Historical Society, and a cemetery trustee. The authors have gathered historical photographs from local, private collections.