The Angel Oak Story

  • Overview
  • Details
  • Author
  • More About This Book
Angel Oak is estimated to be more than 400 years old. The story of the live oak begins with the "purchase" of Johns Island from the Cussoe Indians by a representative of Sir Anthony Ashley Cooper in 1675. The land upon which the tree grows was then granted to Abraham Waight in 1717. The oak garnered its name when descendant Martha Waight married Justus Angel. This same family maintained ownership of the property for 242 years. Today, the Angel Oak is owned by the City of Charleston. Authors Ruth M. Miller and Linda Lennon describe life on Johns Island through 300 years and the special place the tree has held in the hearts of Lowcountry residents. A foreword was provided by Becky Woods, communications manager for the Lowcountry Land Trust.
ISBN: 9781467141383
Format: Paperback
Publisher: The History Press
State: South Carolina
Images: 28
Pages: 96
Dimensions: 6 (w) x 9 (h)
Ruth M. Miller is author/illustrator of Charleston Charlie and co-author of Charleston’s Old Exchange Building: A Witness to American History, Touring the Tombstones (guides to Charleston’s eighteen-century graveyards) and Slavery to Civil Rights: A Walking Tour of African-American Charleston. Linda V. Lennon is author of Charleston’s Historical Churches and Chapels of Ease.
More About This Book