The Battle of New Orleans: Plantation Houses on the Battlefield of New Orleans

$12.95
Backordered. Usually ships within 6-12 months.
  • Overview
  • Details
  • Author
  • More About This Book
Overview
This guide covers the plantation homes present on the battlefield during the British campaign of 1814-1815, the last major conflict of the War of 1812. The nine properties mentioned span a six-mile stretch along the east bank of the Mississippi River in an area known as Pointe St. Antoine, which derives its name from the bend in the river. Though the plantations no longer stand, their historical significance remains. A thorough examination of each home includes a history of ownership, based on data from public records and newspapers, along with explanations of what happened to the property. Firsthand narratives describe individual characteristics of each house. The book includes eighteenth-century maps of the French colony, images depicting the positions of the British and American Army during the battle, period photographs and illustrations, and floor plans of the plantation homes. Sections include such homes as the Macarty Plantation, which was once Andrew Jackson's headquarters before becoming the home of Henry L. Beauregard, son of the Confederate general, at the end of the nineteenth century. De La Ronde Plantation is the only property with surviving remains. This home is architecturally significant because it is especially large for a French colonial plantation and it uses different-sized bricks from the first story to the second. The book ends with the final plantation on the stretch, the Jumonville plantation. Owned by one the oldest French-Canadian families in Louisiana, this extensive piece of property contained a sugar mill, stables, and a bakery, along with temporary British hospitals during battle.
Details
ISBN: 9781589809963
Format: Paperback
Publisher: Pelican Publishing
Date:
State: Louisiana
Series: Louisiana Landmarks
Images: 200
Pages: 96
Dimensions: 5 (w) x 8 (h)
Author
Samuel Wilson, Jr., may be regarded as the leading authority on the architectural history of Louisiana. Not only was Wilson an architect, but he also was a member of the Tulane faculty, where he lectured on the history of some of Louisiana's oldest buildings. A member of the American Institute of Architects, and a founding member and past president of the Louisiana Landmarks Society, he served on the Board of Curators of the Louisiana State Museum. If he was not too busy with the aforementioned societies, institutes, and boards, Wilson also acted as the historian of the Orleans Parish Landmarks Commission and was the former director of the Society of Architectural Historians. Wilson's wealth of knowledge on Louisiana architecture was not confined to these various memberships, either. He was also the editor of Impressions Respecting New Orleans by Benjamin Henry Boneval Latrobe. He also wrote numerous articles for various scholarly journals, such as Louisiana Historical Quarterly and Journal of the Society of Architectural Historians. Wilson's expertise in the field of architecture is evident in his collaborative effort with coauthor Leonard V. Huber in their book The Cabildo on Jackson Square. Wilson wrote the colonial history of the 235-year-old Cabildo. Built by the Spanish to serve as their primary governmental building, the Cabildo was transferred into French and then American hands in 1803. Wilson's passion for architecture ran as deep as the Mississippi River and was as rich as the colorful history of New Orleans. Settled deep in the marshy South, the exquisite architecture of New Orleans continues to awe residents and visitors alike. Thanks to Wilson, the history of some of New Orleans' oldest buildings has been written down, thus preserving their precious legacies for years to come.
More About This Book