Spring City and Royersford Through Time

$22.99
  • Overview
  • Details
  • Author
Overview
From the early 1800s there was a need for people to travel between the two settlements that were separated by the Schuylkill River. In 1839, the opening of the railroad in Royersford increased that desire and resulted in the first bridge being built just one year later in 1840. Although this covered wooden bridge was washed away in a flood 10 years later, it was replaced immediately with another similar wooden structure. In 1884 a fire burned down this bridge. The twin boroughs dependent on this vital connecting link built an iron bridge that was dubbed "The Permanent Bridge". In 1922, this iron bridge was condemned due to rust and a new cement bridge was erected. Although the cement bridge has been reconditioned several times, it still serves the communities today with a constant flow of cars and trucks crossing over daily.
Details
ISBN: 9781625451330
Format: Paperback
Publisher: America Through Time
Date:
State: Pennsylvania
Series: America Through Time
Images: 200
Pages: 96
Dimensions: 6.5 (w) x 9.25 (h)
Author