New from Arcadia Publishing’s Images of America Series is Around the Village of Chatham by local author Gail Blass Wolczanski. In over 200 pictures, Wolczanski tells the story of Chatham through black and white vintage photographs.
In 1811, William Thomas built a tavern at the one busy site where the Albany and Hartford Turnpike intersected the Lebanon and Hudson Turnpike, and the village of Chatham was born. A store catering to stagecoach passengers soon followed in 1815.
By 1850, the Hudson and Berkshire Railroad and the Western Railroad were established within sight of the tavern's central square. Shortly thereafter, Solomon Crandell's store and post office on the main street were receiving customers' mail addressed to Chatham Four Corners.
There was a new school, three hotels, two churches, a gristmill, a foundry, several retail stores, two publications and a village doctor. The Columbia Bank was founded in 1859 in response to the volume of trade and manufacturing in the village. Paper mills, iron foundries, wagon manufacturers, shirt factories, agriculture, and freight train service all helped to propel the development of the village of Chatham.
Available at area bookstores, independent retailers, and online retailers, or through Arcadia Publishing at (888)-313-2665 or www.arcadiapublishing.com.
Arcadia Publishing is the leading publisher of local and regional history in the United States. Our mission is to make history accessible and meaningful through the publication of books on the heritage of America’s people and places. Have we done a book on your town? Visit www.arcadiapublishing.com.