Erie Street Cemetery is Cleveland's oldest existing cemetery. Today downtown Cleveland towers over this peaceful plot of land, which has remained essentially unchanged since it was opened as a burial ground in 1826 at the far edge of the town, whose population was only about 800 at the time. Within the cemetery are the graves of soldiers who served in the Indian Wars, the Revolutionary War, the War of 1812, the Civil War, the Mexican War, and the Spanish-American War, and it is the last resting place of many of the city's early leaders and pioneer families.
Author Bio: John D. Cimperman has received numerous national and local awards for his work in historic preservation. He served as the director of the Cleveland Landmarks Commission for 18 years, trustee of the Ohio Historical Society, member of the Ohio Site Preservation Advisory Board, president of the Ohio Association of Preservation Commissions, trustee of the Cleveland Restoration Society, trustee of the National Alliance of Historic Preservation Commissions, and president of the Early Settlers Association of the Western Reserve. He has authored and coauthored numerous articles on history and historic preservation.
Find Books By Title:
Find Books By Theme:
Find Books By State: