Christopher Calthrope settled Poquoson in 1631 when he was granted a 500-acre land patent in "New Poquoson." Calthrope's land patent was one of many granted by Royal Governor Harvey in order to extend the English settlement from the James River across the peninsula to the York River. Plantations dominated the area until the American Revolutionary War. By the late 18th century, new residents migrated from the eastern shore of Virginia and Maryland and began settling in Poquoson. It was during the 19th century that the distinct communities of Odd, Messick, Jeffs, Moores, and Poquoson began to be settled. These communities, though in close proximity to each other, had their own stores and post offices. As the 20th century progressed, new families moved into the area due to the establishment of nearby Langley Air Force Base and NASA.
Author Bio: The mission of the Poquoson Historical Commission, established in 1986, is to preserve and protect the history of Poquoson. The Poquoson Museum, established in 2001, exists to preserve, promote, interpret, document, and educate the public about the history and heritage of the Poquoson community. The images used in this book come from private family photographs as well as from the collections of the museum and the historical society.
Find Books By Title:
Find Books By Theme:
Find Books By State: