Grants-Milan
Grants-Milan, New Mexico, is located on historic Route 66 between Albuquerque and Gallup. The Atlantic & Pacific Railroad hired three Grant brothers to establish Grant's Camp in 1882, including a post office and telegraph office. The railroad changed the way of travel, and the marketing of cattle, farm products, and timber created a number of booms for this little town. "Grant" was officially changed to "Grants" in 1935, and the village of Milan was established in 1957 by Salvador Milan. In 1946, he converted a sheep ranch to a truck farm, which resulted in Grants-Milan being designated the "Carrot Capital of the World." A uranium boom started in 1950 when the carrot boom busted. The uranium companies needed water and housing, while the auxiliary uranium businesses needed a place to operate, resulting in the village of Milan being incorporated since Grants refused to annex the original unincorporated Milan townsite.
Arcadia Publishing
: 9780738599649
: Arcadia Publishing
: 10/28/2013
: New Mexico
: Images of America
: 195 Black And White
: 128
: 6.5 (w) x 9.25 (h)
  • About the author
  • Reviews
  • Customer Reviews
  • More about this book
About the author
Donald Jaramillo, editor of the Cibola Beacon, was raised in San Rafael, four miles south of Grants, which was established as Fort Wingate and built by the US Cavalry to protect the area from Apache and Navajo raids, resulting in a sheep and cattle boom. Paul Milan grew up on the truck farm mentioned above.
Reviews
Customer Reviews
More about this book