Fort Washington and Upper Dublin

$10.99
  • Overview
  • Details
  • Author
Overview
Upper Dublin and Fort Washington, located to the northwest of Philadelphia, were part of William Penn's original land grant of 1681. The villages of Fitzwatertown, Jarrettown, Three Tuns, and Dreshertown developed to serve early settlers who worked as farmers and lime burners. Through vintage photographs collected by the Historical Society of Fort Washington from local sources, Fort Washington and Upper Dublin illustrates the area's transformation as new roads and railroads brought industry, grand country homes, and vacation retreats. Included are photographs of Dr. Richard Mattison's grand Lindenwold estate, homes built for his employees, and the water-tower house with its five twenty-thousand-gallon tanks perched above four apartments. The collection also includes photographs of several country inns and the now vanished community of Hoopeston.
Details
ISBN: 9780738535203
Format: Paperback
Publisher: Arcadia Publishing
Date:
State: Pennsylvania
Series: Images of America
Images: 200
Pages: 128
Dimensions: 6.5 (w) x 9.25 (h)
Author
The Historical Society of Fort Washington was founded in 1935 to preserve local history. The society maintains a library and four-room museum at Clifton House, one of the former country hotels in Fort Washington State Park.