William Carey College: The First 100 Years

$19.99
  • Overview
  • Details
  • Author
Overview
William Carey College is ideally located in Hattiesburg, Mississippi, to serve all of South Mississippi, from Jackson to the Gulf Coast and from the coastal borders of Alabama to Louisiana. Originally named South Mississippi College, the school was established in 1906 as Hattiesburg's first institution of higher learning. After an immense fire destroyed the college in February 1910, local businessman W. S. F. Tatum acquired the property and offered the site to Mississippi Baptists for the establishment of a college for women. Mississippi Woman's College opened its doors in 1911 and continued operation until the trustees voted in favor of coeducational status for the college in 1954. Pres. Irving E. Rouse chose the name William Carey College in honor of an Englishman who became known as the "father of modern missions." Today William Carey College has an enrollment of over 3,000 with branch campuses in New Orleans, Louisiana, and Gulfport, Mississippi. Although many of the archives of the college have been destroyed, it is hoped this book will present the interesting story of William Carey College and its predecessors, faculty, alumni, and students.
Details
ISBN: 9780738542621
Format: Paperback
Publisher: Arcadia Publishing
Date:
State: Mississippi
Series: Campus History
Images: 200
Pages: 128
Dimensions: 6.5 (w) x 9.25 (h)
Author
Author Donna Duck Wheeler (1965) has been employed by the college for 40 years, serving in many capacities, including most recently as alumni director for 15 years. She is indebted to a committee that has provided invaluable assistance in the publication effort of William Carey College: The First 100 Years, including Sarah Burrus, Allison Chestnut, Bennie Crockett, Jeanna Graves, Tommy King, Ralph Noonkester, Obra Quave, Lacey Walters, Milton Wheeler, and Melinda Winstead.