Collierville

$21.99
  • Overview
  • Details
  • Author
  • Reviews
Overview
In 1836, Collierville received its name from Jesse R. Collier, a local entrepreneur, who advertised lots for sale in what he called the "Town of Collier." Even after its formal incorporation in 1850, the town was mistakenly known as both Oak Grove and Colliersville. Additionally documents from the late 19th century put Collierville in both Tennessee and Mississippi. By 1858, the population was recorded at around 250 people, doubling by 1860. Much of the town was destroyed during the Civil War, but in 1866, the town sprang back around a park designated as a "public square." Once a stagecoach rest stop and later a railroad stop, the town anchors the southeast corner of Shelby County, lying about 30 miles east of Memphis and the Mississippi River. Today Collierville's population has grown to more than 42,000 people. With its downtown a jewel of Victorian-era homes and churches surrounding the Historic Town Square, Collierville, Tennessee, retains a small-town charm that keeps longtime residents rooted and draws increasing numbers of new citizens yearly.
Details
ISBN: 9780738542898
Format: Paperback
Publisher: Arcadia Publishing
Date:
State: Tennessee
Series: Images of America
Images: 200
Pages: 128
Dimensions: 6.5 (w) x 9.25 (h)
Author
Main Street Collierville, a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization, has a mission to preserve and enhance the historic area as the heart of Collierville. The group has selected images that capture the ambience of a turn-of-the-century Collierville.
Reviews