Downtown Culpeper

$21.99
Usually ships within 1 week.
  • Overview
  • Details
  • Author
Overview
In 1749, George Washington, age 17, was commissioned to survey and plot the town and county of Culpeper. He recorded that the town occupied a "high and pleasant situation." Incorporated in 1834, Culpeper prospered as a major trading and shipping point with the opening of a stagecoach route. The arrival of the railroad in 1853 spurred even more economic development and made Culpeper a strategic supply station for Confederate and Union troops. Occupied by both armies throughout the war, the Culpeper area witnessed more than 100 battles and skirmishes and received many Confederate and Union generals. Military headquarters were established here, with officers lodged in hotels and dining and entertaining downtown. Much of downtown Culpeper was built following the Civil War. The architectural character today reflects the 1888 building boom of High Victorian and Italianate styles.
Details
ISBN: 9780738544168
Format: Paperback
Publisher: Arcadia Publishing
Date:
State: Virginia
Series: Images of America
Images: 181
Pages: 128
Dimensions: 6.5 (w) x 9.25 (h)
Author
Diane Logan is the executive director of Culpeper Renaissance, Inc., Downtown Development Association, a Virginia Main Street Program. She received her certification as a Main Street manager from the National Trust for Historic Preservation. Logan has written and produced living history programs, published a genealogical magazine, and served as director of a house museum and archives and genealogical library. She currently serves on the board of directors of the Friends of Cedar Mountain Battlefield.