Concord-Farragut

$21.99
  • Overview
  • Details
  • Author
Overview
In 1787, before Concord or Farragut existed, the area was known as Campbell's Station. The settlement grew rapidly, and by 1840, it was a thriving, self-sufficient community with many businesses. In the mid-1850s, the town of Concord was established two miles south of Campbell's Station along the newly installed railroad lines, drawing many businesses from Campbell's Station. Concord prospered, but Campbell's Station remained peaceful farmland. In 1902, Farragut High School was built in Campbell's Station. The school and the post office were the glue that held the west Knox County communities together. By 1944, nearly one-third of Concord was displaced by the impoundment of Fort Loudoun Lake. Soon Campbell's Station's sprawling farms became subdivisions, and Concord's businesses, churches, and even the post office were forced to relocate to Campbell's Station, leaving Concord a sleepy village. In 1980, a large area around the school but excluding Concord was incorporated as the town of Farragut.
Details
ISBN: 9780738553740
Format: Paperback
Publisher: Arcadia Publishing
Date:
State: Tennessee
Series: Images of America
Images: 230
Pages: 128
Dimensions: 6.5 (w) x 9.25 (h)
Author
Author Doris Woods Owens is the director of the Farragut Folklore Museum. She was born in Concord, where she lived for 16 years before being displaced by Fort Loudoun Lake. In 1942, her family relocated to the Campbell's Station area. Owens attended Farragut High School, studied piano for 10 years, and earned a bachelor's degree from the University of Tennessee and a master's degree while teaching in Miami. Kate Clabough is a freelance writer from Louisville, Tennessee.