Claiborne Parish

$21.99
  • Overview
  • Details
  • Author
  • More About This Book
Overview
Located in north-central Louisiana, Claiborne Parish was named for the first American governor, William C. C. Claiborne, and is one of the oldest parishes in the state. The area was settled by English and Scots-Irish, who, with persons of African descent, began arriving as early as 1818. Immigration increased markedly in the 1830s following the removal of the Great Raft of the Red River, making access to the interior of the region less difficult. Between 1840 and 1860, settlers from Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, the Carolinas, Virginia, Kentucky, and Tennessee poured into the region, establishing farms, villages, churches, and schools. By the 1850s, every trade and industry was represented in the town, bountiful crops were being produced in the countryside, and prosperity was felt throughout the parish.
Details
ISBN: 9780738554129
Format: Paperback
Publisher: Arcadia Publishing
Date:
State: Louisiana
Series: Images of America
Images: 200
Pages: 128
Dimensions: 6.5 (w) x 9.25 (h)
Author
Authored by the board of directors of the Herbert S. Ford Memorial Museum, Inc., this volume contains images selected from the archives of the museum, the Guardian-Journal, the Claiborne Parish Library, and private collections. In presenting these images to the public, the authors hope to motivate interested persons to seek out even more photographs and, above all, join in the ongoing effort to preserve and promote the history of Claiborne Parish.
More About This Book