Allegheny City: 1840-1907

$21.99
  • Overview
  • Details
  • Author
  • More About This Book
Overview
Allegheny Town was established in 1784 by order of the Supreme Executive Council of Pennsylvania. By 1840, the tiny wilderness community had grown in size and population to be incorporated as Allegheny City. Throughout the 19th century, Allegheny City became home to immigrants from many European countries who found work in the city's expanding commercial and industrial firms, as well such prominent Americans as Andrew Carnegie, Samuel P. Langley, Mary Cassatt, George Ferris, and Mary Roberts Rinehart. The citizens of Allegheny City's many neighborhoods took great pride in their city's heritage, schools, parks, and congregations. On January 1, 1907, Allegheny City was the third-largest city in Pennsylvania. By the end of that year, the city, as an autonomous municipality, no longer existed as a result of an annexation by Pittsburgh, its sister city across the river. Allegheny City: 1840–1907 documents the short history of this remarkable city.
Details
ISBN: 9780738555003
Format: Paperback
Publisher: Arcadia Publishing
Date:
State: Pennsylvania
Series: Images of America
Images: 200
Pages: 128
Dimensions: 6.5 (w) x 9.25 (h)
Author
The Allegheny City Society was founded in the 1950s to preserve and interpret the history of the former Allegheny City. Since its founding, the society's members and friends have contributed many artifacts, books, and photographs to the organization's archives. The images used in this work were drawn from this collection and several area repositories.
More About This Book