Arlington

$13.99
  • Overview
  • Details
  • Author
  • More About This Book
Overview
The neighborhood of Arlington, located about five miles southwest of downtown Riverside, was first settled in the 1870s and was later developed as a town site in 1877 by philanthropist Samuel C. Evans and William Sayward. Citrus groves flourished in the area, providing the community with a newfound wealth. Large and gracious homes were built on wide streets lined with beautiful shade trees. Arlington's commercial district at Van Buren Boulevard and Magnolia Avenue expanded to include a bank, chamber of commerce, newspaper, store, church, boardinghouse, and post office with its own Arlington postmark, in use since 1888. In the early 1900s, an electric railway was built down the center of Magnolia Avenue ending at beautiful Chemewa Park with its large trees, dance pavilion, zoo, and polo field. Today Arlington retains much of its neighborhood feeling while undergoing a large-scale redevelopment project for a future retail and commercial district.
Details
ISBN: 9780738555805
Format: Paperback
Publisher: Arcadia Publishing
Date:
State: California
Series: Images of America
Images: 200
Pages: 128
Dimensions: 6.5 (w) x 9.25 (h)
Author
Georgia Gordon Sercl is a third-generation Arlingtonian; her grandchildren are fifth generation. Georgia's mother, Theresa Gordon, and grandmother, Marie Leibert, were the town's official historians for 50 years and collected hundreds of photographs and newspaper articles. Georgia is proud to share these rare photographs in this new Arlington retrospective.
More About This Book