Washington's Headquarters in Newburgh
In April 1782, Gen. George Washington rode into Newburgh and found a sprawling town. At the end of what is now Library Street was the fieldstone house of the late Col. Jonathan Hasbrouck. From April 1782 to August 1783, Hasbrouck's house became Washington's home and his longest-occupied military headquarters. At the end of the American Revolution, Washington left “headquarters,” as it came to be known, and the Hasbrouck family reclaimed the house. A period of extended decline followed, until the Hasbrouck family could no longer maintain the property, and it was ultimately purchased by the State of New York. On July 4, 1850, Washington's Headquarters was named a state historic site and became the first of its kind in the nation.
Arcadia Publishing
: 9780738557724
: Arcadia Publishing
: 04/07/2008
: New York
: Images of America
: 200 Black And White
: 128
: 6.5 (w) x 9.25 (h)
  • About the author
  • Reviews
  • Customer Reviews
  • More about this book
About the author
A. J. Schenkman is a teacher of history in the Hudson Valley and a volunteer firefighter. He has written extensively on the history of Ulster and Orange Counties. The rare, vintage images contained in this book were culled from numerous local and national archives.
Reviews
Customer Reviews
More about this book