Fort Lawton

$9.99
  • Overview
  • Details
  • Author
Overview
Fort Lawton was established to provide protection for the navy yard built at Bremerton in 1891 as well the cities along Puget Sound and the commerce generated by them. The development of Fort Lawton was encouraged by civic leaders in Seattle for economic reasons and to curb lawlessness. Although intended primarily as an infantry post, the first soldiers to arrive on July 26, 1901, were artillerymen. One year later, this artillery installation, the Puget Sound Harbor Defense Command, was moved to Fort Warden and the first infantry soldiers arrived in Fort Lawton. It remained an infantry post throughout most of its years, and Seattle's hopes for a major military installation were not to be realized.
Details
ISBN: 9780738558110
Format: Paperback
Publisher: Arcadia Publishing
Date:
State: Washington
Series: Images of America
Images: 200
Pages: 128
Dimensions: 6.5 (w) x 9.25 (h)
Author
Jack W. Jaunal is a military historian who has written several history articles, one book, and one monograph. Currently he is a history instructor at a local community college. The history of Fort Lawton is told here through a series of photographs that date from 1888 to the present and were culled from several sources. The photographs capture not only Fort Lawton itself, but also the men and women, military and civilian, who served and worked here during peace and war.