Fort Stevens
Fort Stevens State Park, named in honor of Gen. Isaac Ingalls Stevens, is located in Warrenton, Oregon, at the mouth of the Columbia River. In February 1862, the U.S. Congress appropriated $100,000 to build defenses against possible naval invasion. In November 1864, a detachment from Fort Canby was sent to guard the fort in case of Confederate reprisals with the reelection of President Lincoln. The historical section of the park includes remnants of the early batteries, a memorial rose garden, armaments, and a museum dedicated to the history of the fortress and the wreck of the barque Peter Iredale. Fort Stevens was the only military site in the continental United States shelled during World War II. Decommissioned after that war, the military cemetery and former military housing are located adjacent to the historical area.
Arcadia Publishing
: 9780738559339
: Arcadia Publishing
: 12/15/2008
: Oregon
: Images of America
: 218 Black And White
: 128
: 6.5 (w) x 9.25 (h)
  • About the author
  • Reviews
  • Customer Reviews
  • More about this book
About the author
Susan L. Glen, a military spouse and daughter of two veterans of World War II, lives in Warrenton, Oregon. This is her third book in the Images of America series. She is a former teacher and a member of the Daughters of the American Revolution as well as numerous historical and genealogical societies. Photographs dating to 1880, preserved by the Friends of Old Fort Stevens, help tell the story of Fort Stevens.
Reviews
Customer Reviews
More about this book