Railroad Depots of Central Ohio

$21.99
  • Overview
  • Details
  • Author
Overview
By the mid-1850s, the railroad craze had hit central Ohio. Pioneer railroads that were to evolve into portions of the Baltimore and Ohio, New York Central, and Pennsylvania Railroads connected the state capital, Columbus, with the canals, Lake Erie, and the Ohio River. The region was crisscrossed by numerous other lines by 1880; Columbus became the main hub while other railroad centers included Circleville, Delaware, Mansfield, Mount Vernon, Newark, and Zanesville. Hundreds of depots were built throughout central Ohio to serve railroad passengers and to handle baggage, mail, and freight. Depots became the center of commerce and activity at communities—big and small. With the discontinuance of passenger trains across the Buckeye State, many depots disappeared from trackside—many simply demolished, others relocated for non-railroad uses. Railroad Depots of Central Ohio offers a pictorial history of selected depots, centering around Columbus and Franklin County, using old postcards and vintage photographs.
Details
ISBN: 9780738561745
Format: Paperback
Publisher: Arcadia Publishing
Date:
State: Ohio
Series: Images of Rail
Images: 200
Pages: 128
Dimensions: 6.5 (w) x 9.25 (h)
Author
Mark J. Camp teaches geology at the University of Toledo and serves as a national director of the Railroad Station Historical Society. His other titles include Railroad Depots of Northwest Ohio, Railroad Depots of West Central Ohio, Railroad Depots of Northeast Ohio, and Ohio Oil and Gas.