Warrenton-Hammond

$21.99
  • Overview
  • Details
  • Author
Overview
Located near the mouth of the Columbia River, Warrenton, incorporated in February 1899, is a city comprised of many earlier towns and villages. Hammond, although still having a separate post office and zip code, was merged with Warrenton in 1991. Fort Stevens, now an Oregon State Park, is located near Hammond. Lexington was the first county seat for Clatsop County until the county seat was vacated on December 4, 1879, and moved to Astoria. Skipanon, located near the same site as Lexington, was also annexed by Warrenton. Flavel, along the Columbia River between Warrenton and Hammond, was an active port for the Great Northern Steamship Company. It was annexed by Warrenton in 1918. Warrenton-Hammond documents each of these towns as they grew and became the present city of Warrenton.
Details
ISBN: 9780738571607
Format: Paperback
Publisher: Arcadia Publishing
Date:
State: Oregon
Series: Images of America
Images: 209
Pages: 128
Dimensions: 6.5 (w) x 9.25 (h)
Author
Susan L. Glen has had relatives in the area since the 1800s. In November 1847, one relative by marriage had the original donation land claim that became the town of Hammond. Glen came to Warrenton in 1976. She is a former schoolteacher and a member of the Warrenton-Hammond Historical Society, Clatsop County Historical Society, Seaside Historical Society, Daughters of the American Revolution, and many other historical and genealogical societies.