Baldwin Park

$21.99
  • Overview
  • Details
  • Author
  • More About This Book
Overview
Known as the "Hub of the San Gabriel Valley" due to its location as the geographic center of the valley, Baldwin Park formerly consisted of cattle-grazing lands for the San Gabriel Mission. Known as Vineland by 1880, and renamed after legendary investor and landowner Elias J. "Lucky" Baldwin in 1906, the city incorporated in 1956. Baldwin Park evolved as a diverse community along the San Gabriel River, where Ramona Boulevard and Maine Avenue became major thoroughfares. One of the city's thriving businesses was the very first of the famous In-N-Out Burger stands, opened by Harry and Esther Snyder in 1948, southwest of where Francisquito Avenue passes under Interstate 10. From the area's first schoolhouse at what became North Maine and Los Angeles Avenues through the award-winning adult school of the Baldwin Park Unified School District, pride in education has remained a Baldwin Park constant.
Details
ISBN: 9780738574844
Format: Paperback
Publisher: Arcadia Publishing
Date:
State: California
Series: Images of America
Images: 223
Pages: 128
Dimensions: 6.5 (w) x 9.25 (h)
Author
Author Robert H. (Bob) Benbow, a retired teacher and administrator who has served as president and curator of the Baldwin Park Historical Society and Museum for many years, coauthored this book with society board member Lorraine O'Brien. They collated these vintage photographs from the museum's vast collection, gathered over the years from public and private donors.
More About This Book