St. James Trade School and Brother James Court

$10.99
  • Overview
  • Details
  • Author
Overview
Helping orphaned and disadvantaged boys get a chance at a better life was the mission of Brother James, founder of the Franciscan Brothers of the Holy Cross, a German Catholic Order that sent Brothers to the United States in 1924. To that end, St. James Trade School was established in Springfield, Illinois, in 1928. Two years later, the first group of apprentices was admitted; they and hundreds who followed them through 1972 went on to become certified mechanics, carpenters, and electricians among other valuable trades. High school diplomas were earned beginning in 1948. In 1975, Brother James Court (BJC) opened with a brand new building specifically designed as a residential intermediate care facility. BJC provides both residency and advocacy for developmentally disabled men. Providing the highest quality care, consistent with the spirit and principles of the Franciscan Brothers of the Holy Cross, programs at BJC meet residents' needs and allow them to live happily at BJC for as long as they need.
Details
ISBN: 9780738578118
Format: Paperback
Publisher: Arcadia Publishing
Date:
State: Illinois
Series: Images of America
Images: 191
Pages: 128
Dimensions: 6.5 (w) x 9.25 (h)
Author
This book chronicles 82 years of Springfield mission work by the Franciscan Brothers of the Holy Cross, at both the St. James Trade School and Brother James Court. It is a joint effort, authored by the Brothers, community volunteers, and the staff at BJC who believe in the motto “In Cruce Victoria”—victory through the cross.