Casa Grande

$10.99
  • Overview
  • Details
  • Author
Overview
Casa Grande, Arizona, is located on desert and farmland between Tucson and Phoenix and began as the end of an unfinished railroad line—thus its early name, Terminus. On May 19, 1879, when early summer heat halted construction of the railroad in what would soon become Casa Grande, only three buildings and five residents constituted the town. The names reflect the ethnic diversity of the sparse population: Buckalew, Ochoa, Smith, Watzlavocki, and Fryer. In September 1880, executives of the Southern Pacific Railroad Company named the town Casa Grande after the prehistoric Hohokam Indian ruins located 20 miles to the east. This volume illustrates how a desert railroad stop grew into a city. Today, as Casa Grande's population increases, new neighborhoods, schools, malls, and entertainment venues provide exciting new reasons for living here. However, as the population grows, the town struggles to retain its identity as an agricultural community.
Details
ISBN: 9780738579535
Format: Paperback
Publisher: Arcadia Publishing
Date:
State: Arizona
Series: Images of America
Images: 214
Pages: 128
Dimensions: 6.5 (w) x 9.25 (h)
Author
Knowledgeable Casa Grande Valley Historical Society members have kept the history of the city alive through artifacts, exhibits, oral histories, and photographs. The photographs selected for this publication come from the extensive archives of the Casa Grande Valley Historical Society and through the generosity of past and current residents.