Temple
The Gulf, Colorado, and Santa Fe Railroad founded the town of Temple in 1881. Named in honor of the railroad's chief engineer, B. M. Temple, the town lies in the finest agriculture belt in Texas. Prior to the arrival of the railroad, farmers of Bell County transported cotton, grain, and produce to the nearest railroad terminus at Waco, Cameron, Calvert, or Rockdale on a difficult three-day trip. Moving these goods became much easier with the arrival of the railroad, and Temple became an important center for trade. By 1912, Temple was the most important revenue-producing station on the Gulf, Colorado, and Santa Fe Railroad south of Kansas City. Early on, the railroad established a hospital for employees, and by 1900, there were three hospitals: St. Mary's Sanitarium, Santa Fe, and King's Daughters. Temple's importance as a trade center contributed to an early and sustained population growth. The city of Temple promotes the community's history with the annual Pioneer Day celebration.
Arcadia Publishing
: 9780738580234
: Arcadia Publishing
: 03/29/2010
: Texas
: Images of America
: 222 Black And White
: 128
: 6.5 (w) x 9.25 (h)
  • About the author
  • Reviews
  • Customer Reviews
  • More about this book
About the author
Authors Michael and Nancy Kelsey selected photographs that illustrate the transformation of Temple from “Prairie Queen” to the progressive city it is today. Photographs were gathered from the archives of Temple Public Library, Temple Railroad and Heritage Museum, and private collections.
Reviews
Customer Reviews
More about this book