Janesville

$10.99
  • Overview
  • Details
  • Author
Overview
In 1837, Henry Janes applied for a post office called Black Hawk for the southern Wisconsin settlement where he ran a ferry across the Rock River. The postmaster general, however, noticed a town already by that name in the Iowa part of Wisconsin Territory, and he assigned the name Janesville, with Janes as postmaster. Two years later, Janes moved his family west, but the community grew to become the Rock County seat, and by 1860 it was Wisconsin's second-largest city. Today more than 62,000 people call the "City of Parks" home.
Details
ISBN: 9780738584461
Format: Paperback
Publisher: Arcadia Publishing
Date:
State: Wisconsin
Series: Postcard History Series
Images: 226
Pages: 128
Dimensions: 6.5 (w) x 9.25 (h)
Author
Authors Den and Judith Adler came to Janesville in 1970 and, a year later, bought the 1912 stucco house they still live in. Both are longtime members of the Rock County Historical Society, and Judith provided staff support to the City of Janesville Historic Commission from its creation in 1980 until she retired from city employment in 2008.