South Charleston
Or buy the eBook from one of these retailers
South Charleston was named for its location on the south bank of the Kanawha River near Charleston. Kanawha Land Company formed the city by combining three farms and securing titles to approximately 2,000 acres in 1906. The area, consisting of hill and bottom land, was used to establish an industrial town. Free land and cheap fuel were offered to plants to locate in South Charleston. By 1907, the town site had been surveyed, and stone from the South Charleston Crusher Company’s quarry at Spring Hill was used to pave the sidewalks and some streets. Banner and Dunkirk Glass companies were the town’s first businesses, followed by the Ordnance Center and chemical companies.
Arcadia Publishing
: 9780738586496
: Arcadia Publishing
: 01/10/2011
: West Virginia
: Images of America
: 192 Black And White
: 128
: 6.5 (w) x 9.25 (h)
  • About the author
  • Reviews
  • Customer Reviews
  • More about this book
About the author
Author Judy Bowen Romano has been a member of the South Charleston Museum since its inception in 1989. The museum is located in the historic La Belle Theater along with the convention bureau. Its mission is to research the city’s past and preserve it for the future. Images of America: South Charleston illustrates the city’s history with vintage photographs.
Reviews
Customer Reviews
More about this book