Fort DuPont

$21.99
  • Overview
  • Details
  • Author
Overview
Fort DuPont is named in honor of Rear Adm. Samuel Francis Du Pont and located on the Reeden Point tract, land initially granted to Henry Ward in 1675. Fort DuPont originated during the Civil War as a heavily armed earthwork fortification. In 1864, Sgt. Bishop Crumrine wrote, "these guns command the channel and could blow to atoms any vessel rash enough to attempt to pass." In the decades to follow, the battery at Delaware City was gradually modernized into a formidable military post that remained active through World War II. Declared surplus, the site reopened in 1948 as the Governor Bacon Health Center. By 1996, over 300 acres were reestablished as Fort DuPont State Park.
Details
ISBN: 9780738588070
Format: Paperback
Publisher: Arcadia Publishing
Date:
State: Delaware
Series: Images of America
Images: 233
Pages: 128
Dimensions: 6.5 (w) x 9.25 (h)
Author
Brendan Mackie is a photojournalist with the 101st Public Affairs Detachment and a member of the Coast Defense Study Group. Peter K. Morrill has a degree in historic preservation from the College of Charleston and serves as a historical interpreter at Fort DuPont State Park. Laura M. Lee is interpretive program manager and historian at Fort DuPont State Park. Images of America: Fort DuPont includes photographs from various public and private collections as well as personal stories by the soldiers and civilians who were actually there.