Boston's Back Bay
One of the largest development projects in nineteenth-century America, Boston’s Back Bay was essentially a tidal basin until the construction of the Mill Dam (present-day Beacon Street) just after the War of 1812. By 1837, the area bounded by Charles, Boylston, Beacon, and Arlington Streets was filled in and laid out as the Public Garden, later the site of Boston’s famous swanboats. In the late 1850s, the massive infill of the Back Bay commenced, and the earth collected from the hills of Needham was deposited in the city’s “west end” for nearly four decades. As the new land began to reach Muddy River, the streets assumed a grid-like plan. The grand avenues eventually comprised Victorian Boston’s premier neighborhood, and became home to the most impressive religious, educational, and residential architecture in New England.
Arcadia Publishing
: 9780738590257
: Arcadia Publishing
: 10/01/1997
: Massachusetts
: Images of America
: 200
: 128
: 6.5 (w) x 9.25 (h)
  • About the author
  • Reviews
  • Customer Reviews
  • More about this book
About the author
Boston historian Anthony Mitchell Sammarco is the author of numerous popular books in the Images of America series, including Boston, West Roxbury, and South Boston, and frequently gives lectures and walking tours in and around the Hub. His comprehensive efforts to document the history of this great American city and all of its various neighborhoods will certainly prove valuable for generations to come.
Reviews
Customer Reviews
More about this book