Indiana Township

$21.99
  • Overview
  • Details
  • Author
  • Reviews
Overview
In 1805, Indiana Township became the fourth township formed in Allegheny County. The earliest settlers, Jacob Huddle (Hodil) and Henry Strohm, arrived from Germany in 1798. The township was mainly rural when it was first settled, but as time progressed, the inevitable "coal culture" began. Coal mining was ideal for three main reasons: the rich coal deposits found within the landscape, the vast array of rail systems, and proximity to the Allegheny River. Important areas in the community include the Singing Winds site of the Council of the Three Rivers American Indian Center, the Mary Flinn Lawrence Estate (commonly referred to as "Hartwood Acres"), the Harmarville Rehabilitation Center, Consulate Health Care, and Beechwood Farms Nature Reserve (currently in Fox Chapel Borough but formerly in Indiana Township), which is home to the Audubon Society of Western Pennsylvania. The famous stage actress Fay Templeton made Indiana Township her home for a time at Wunnahunny Farm, now called Humes's Farm.
Details
ISBN: 9780738592541
Publisher: Arcadia Publishing
Date:
State: Pennsylvania
Series: Images of America
Images: 196
Pages: 128
Dimensions: 6.5 (w) x 9.25 (h)
Author
In Indiana Township, the Indiana Township Historical Commission chose the most accurate images available to portray the area's many transformations over the course of its history. Since its inception in 1986, the historical commission has worked to preserve the township's past for future generations. Joseph Stephenson is chairman of the historical commission and a fourth-generation resident of Indiana Township.
Reviews