Tualatin Valley Fire & Rescue

$21.99
  • Overview
  • Details
  • Author
  • More About This Book
Overview
In the early days of fighting fires in Beaverton, Oregon, a bugle called firefighters to the scene. The Beaverton Enterprise newspaper reported that, "with no water system, firefighters had to rely upon water buckets and (the) enthusiasm of volunteers who came running to the call." In 1935, Beaverton officially formed its first fire department, and down the road in the city of Tualatin, a group of volunteers began assembling what would become the Tualatin Rural Fire Protection District. In 1989, a merger of the latter department with Washington County Fire District No. 1 resulted in the creation of Tualatin Valley Fire & Rescue. Beaverton would officially annex into the new district in 1996, and today, TVF&R is the second-largest fire department in Oregon, covering 210 square miles with 21 stations. Since the beginning, the departments that comprise the district were known for their resourcefulness and innovation, both of which continue to this day.
Details
ISBN: 9780738593043
Format: Paperback
Publisher: Arcadia Publishing
Date:
State: Oregon
Series: Images of America
Images: 214
Pages: 128
Dimensions: 6.5 (w) x 9.25 (h)
Author
Ray Pitz is a Portland-area journalist who has worked as a reporter and editor for Community Newspapers for more than two decades, covering the fire district for an equal amount of time. With the help of archival photographs and private collections, Tualatin Valley Fire & Rescue illustrates the district's proud and distinct past.
More About This Book