Concord Township

$23.99
Publishing 8/2/2021
  • Overview
  • Details
  • Author
  • More About This Book
Overview
Located in northeast Ohio, Concord Township was carved from lands once known as Connecticut’s Western Reserve. The first settlers arrived around 1802 by foot or oxcart and were hardy New Englanders who populated the three main creeks that emptied into nearby Lake Erie. They cleared wooded land to make way for farms and a burgeoning local economy of mills, tanneries, and artisans. After Concord Township was founded in 1822, astute local businessmen prospered into the late 1880s, when depleted natural resources and the emergence of rail lines ended that era of prosperity. Enough fertile land remained to support farms into the 1950s. The beauty of the area attracted families in search of healthy country living. This photographic history of the local agriculture, businesses, homes, schools, people, and resources shows how Concord Township continues to develop today and the diverse community of 20,000 maintains a legacy that connects its past with the present.
Details
ISBN: 9781467106993
Format: Paperback
Publisher: Arcadia Publishing
Date:
State: Ohio
Series: Images of America
Images: 201
Pages: 128
Dimensions: 6.5 (w) x 9.25 (h)
Author
Intrigued by local history, authors Daniel Maxson and Debra L. Bechel-Esker are community residents who have collected vintage photographs, maps, documents, and articles to illustrate the history of the still-evolving township. The generous assistance of local residents, organizations, and Lake County Historical Society members combined to help with the creation of this book.
More About This Book