The White Church of Blandford

$14.39
  • Overview
  • Details
  • Author
  • More About This Book
Overview
Blandford, Massachusetts, was initially referred to as Glasgow Lands due to the European colonists of Scots descent who arrived in 1735. These Scots founded a Presbyterian church; indeed, the reason for their remove from Hopkinton, Massachusetts, was that Hopkinton sought to adopt a Congregational form of worship. Yet in 1822, the White Church, designed by Isaac Damon, was constructed to house what had become the Congregationalist worshippers in Blandford. The White Church remained active long into the 20th century before its physical decline and eventual purchase by the Blandford Historical Society in 2006. While the congregants have another church nearby to call home, the White Church, listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1985 and affixed as part of the town seal, has long been cemented in the minds of residents of the area, regardless of religious affiliation.
Details
ISBN: 9781467107945
Format: Paperback
Publisher: Arcadia Publishing
Date:
State: Massachusetts
Series: Images of America
Images: 181
Pages: 128
Dimensions: 6.5 (w) x 9.25 (h)
Author
Working in conjunction with the Blandford Historical Society, historian Nicholas J. Aieta of Westfield State University has pulled images from the Library of Congress and the society’s archives. The writings of Blandford residents, past and present, have helped develop the story of the church’s birth, physical decline, and eventual resurrection as a community center.
More About This Book