Tupelo

$21.99
  • Overview
  • Details
  • Author
Overview
By 1858, construction on a new railroad from Mobile, Alabama, to Cairo, Illinois, had intersected the Fulton/Pontotoc Road near an area called Gum Pond. That location contained large numbers of tupelo gum trees, and the intersection became known as Tupelo. Many merchants in surrounding communities, like Harrisburg and Richmond, realized that the intersection was going to be a prime area for commerce and began disassembling buildings that housed places of business and relocating them to Tupelo. By the beginning of the Civil War, there were two stores, two hotels, two saloons, and a temporary depot fronting the railroad just south of present-day Main Street. During the Civil War, Tupelo became a major location for shipping grain and livestock to the Confederate army. It also served as headquarters for the Confederate Army of the West and a rest and recreation area for Confederate armies.
Details
ISBN: 9781467110280
Format: Paperback
Publisher: Arcadia Publishing
Date:
State: Mississippi
Series: Images of America
Images: 224
Pages: 128
Dimensions: 6.5 (w) x 9.25 (h)
Author
In 2008, local historians Dick Hill, Bill Lyle, and Julian Riley were disturbed by the condition of old photographs of Tupelo. They found many were deteriorating and being thrown away because neither the subjects nor locations could be identified. Along with Mem Leake, David Baker, and Boyd Yarbrough, they began a project to collect, identify, restore, and preserve area images. They have since collected over 4,000 photographs, some of which are presented here.