Whitewater Valley Railroad

$21.99
  • Overview
  • Details
  • Author
Overview
The Whitewater Valley Railroad is a historic line in scenic southeastern Indiana. It was completed to Connersville in 1867, linking the towns of the Whitewater Valley to Cincinnati over the former towpath of the Whitewater Canal (1836–1862). Originally named the White Water Valley Railroad, the line went through several name changes before being absorbed by the Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chicago & St. Louis (the "Big Four") in 1890 and later by the New York Central, the parent company of the Big Four. After merging with the Pennsylvania Railroad in 1968, the line became the Penn Central before closing in 1972 between Brookville and Connersville. It was slated for abandonment when a group of volunteers stepped in to create the Whitewater Valley Railroad, which ran its first tourist passenger trains in 1974. The nonprofit volunteer organization celebrates its 40th anniversary of operations in 2014.
Details
ISBN: 9781467111485
Format: Paperback
Publisher: Arcadia Publishing
Date:
State: Indiana
Series: Images of Rail
Images: 223
Pages: 128
Dimensions: 6.5 (w) x 9.25 (h)
Author
Francis H. Parker, a recently retired professor at Ball State University, has been with the Whitewater Valley Railroad since 1978 and currently serves as a training officer and the editor of Towpath Tracks. Judy Clem visited the railroad as a young child in the 1970s and joined the railroad in 2000. She is now the railroad's archivist, as well as a library manager with the Indianapolis Public Library. Both coauthors are qualified locomotive engineers and conductors on the Whitewater Valley Railroad.