Lost Coldwater

$21.99
  • Overview
  • Details
  • Author
  • More About This Book
Overview
In 1831, Rev. Allen Tibbits and Joseph Hanchett arrived in the area that would become Coldwater. Together, they platted out a village and named it Lyons after their hometown in New York. Potawatomi Indians called the area "chuck-sey-ya-bish," which translated to "cold water," and within two years the settlers followed the Indians' example in naming the village. Many pioneers traveled on the Historic Sauk Trail (now US Route 12), which connects Detroit to Chicago, putting Coldwater on the map. The introduction of the Erie Canal in 1825—and railroad transit in 1850—revolutionized travel and spawned rapid growth. By 1861, Coldwater was recognized as a city. As a result of this growth, cottages at Coldwater Lake started showing up in the late 1870s as "summer getaways," enticing tourists to the area. In addition, cultural outlets like the Tibbits Opera House, built in 1882 and boasting Second Empire architecture, graced the downtown area.
Details
ISBN: 9781467112727
Format: Paperback
Publisher: Arcadia Publishing
Date:
State: Michigan
Series: Images of America
Images: 232
Pages: 128
Dimensions: 6.5 (w) x 9.25 (h)
Author
Randall Hazelbaker is a local historian who has collected photographs and other memorabilia of Coldwater and Branch County for over 40 years. His vast collection is highlighted in this book, as well as his two previous Arcadia Publishing titles, Images of America: Coldwater and Images of America: Branch County. Sharing this collection with the community is a way of giving back to the wonderful and historic city of Coldwater.
More About This Book