Algoma Township

$21.99
  • Overview
  • Details
  • Author
  • More About This Book
Overview
Algoma Township was established by the Michigan Legislature on March 15, 1849, and named in honor of the steamer Algoma, which ran a route on the nearby Grand River in 1848. The township's earliest settlers included the Lapham, Davis, Helsel, Morningstar, and Porter families, among others. Early residents logged and farmed the area's land; today, these traditions continue. The Powell and Bowler farms are just two local examples of Centennial Farms (farms that have been owned and operated by the same family for more than 100 years). Other groups—including the Algoma Grange No. 751, United Brethren Church, and small rural schools—helped to establish a community in Algoma even without it having an independent town center. As a result, Algoma grew beyond its humble beginnings and Native American name that translates to "fields of wild roses." The treasured stories and images presented in this collection aim to highlight Algoma Township's development and the hardworking people who call the township home.
Details
ISBN: 9781467114165
Format: Paperback
Publisher: Arcadia Publishing
Date:
State: Michigan
Series: Images of America
Images: 179
Pages: 128
Dimensions: 6.5 (w) x 9.25 (h)
Author
Bethany Hart is a fourth-generation resident of Algoma Township. Hart, in collaboration with the Algoma Township Historical Society, presents images from the society's collection of historical artifacts and archives to illustrate the story of the township.
More About This Book