German Marietta and Washington County

$21.99
  • Overview
  • Details
  • Author
Overview
Revolutionary War officers and soldiers of Anglo-Saxon descent founded Marietta, Ohio, in 1788 with the goal of establishing a New England–style town in the frontier of the Northwest Territory. The town developed slowly until a great influx of immigrants, particularly German pioneers, flooded into Washington County during the decades after 1830. The landscape's rolling hills, creeks, and forests drew German farmers to rural areas, while others settled in the cities as shoemakers, brick-makers, leather workers, bakers, brewers, grocers, butchers, carpenters, and dry goods retailers. Between 1880 and 1920, the population of Marietta nearly tripled, mainly due to German immigration. By 1905, German merchants dominated the shopping area of the first two blocks of Front Street. Otto Brothers and Strecker Brothers built regionally significant businesses in the developing shopping area of Putnam Street. Germans of Marietta and Washington County also enriched the culture with their musical talents, churches, and participation in civic activities.
Details
ISBN: 9781467115445
Format: Paperback
Publisher: Arcadia Publishing
Date:
State: Ohio
Series: Images of America
Images: 192
Pages: 128
Dimensions: 6.5 (w) x 9.25 (h)
Author
Jann Kuehn Adams is the great-granddaughter of German immigrant August Victor Kuehn, one of the settlers who founded the Marietta Brewery at the start of the 20th century. Now a retired educator, Adams is a Marietta tour guide, presenter, and researcher of local German history and the author of Behind the Doors of Historic Marietta.