El Segundo
Or buy the eBook from one of these retailers
By 1885, Daniel Freeman owned a successful 25,000-acre ranch along the coastline in Southern California. That year, he sold parcels to J.S. Vosberg, and this became the site of the town of El Segundo. The Standard Oil Company of California purchased 840 acres of dunes in June 1911, and R.J. Hanna was hired to construct and manage the new refinery. His wife is credited with naming the town El Segundo (“the second”), as it was the location of the second Standard Oil plant. The city quickly expanded and was incorporated on January 18, 1917. From an early oil town to the “Aerospace Capital of the World” in the mid-1950s, El Segundo today includes a thriving residential community as well as several Fortune 500 corporations, an Air Force base, and the Chevron El Segundo Refinery.
Arcadia Publishing
: 9781467115896
: Arcadia Publishing
: 08/15/2016
: California
: Images of America
: 222 Black And White
: 128
: 6.5 (w) x 9.25 (h)
  • About the author
  • Reviews
  • Customer Reviews
  • More about this book
About the author
The El Segundo Public Library’s History Room has a collection of thousands of donated photographs. Great care has been taken to preserve them by former directors, the Friends of El Segundo Public Library, and volunteers. Debra Brighton, current director of the library, has drawn almost exclusively from this material for this book. As the city approaches its centennial in 2017, she offers El Segundo to the community for a deeper connection to its proud heritage.
Reviews
Customer Reviews
More about this book