Gorgas House at the University of Alabama

$21.99
  • Overview
  • Details
  • Author
Overview
Built in 1829, the Gorgas House is the oldest structure on the University of Alabama campus. Originally constructed to serve as a hotel, housing for the university steward, and student dining hall, the building underwent several renovations to meet the needs of an ever-changing and growing campus. Later utilized as a faculty residence, classroom, post office, and infirmary, the Gorgas House was one of the few buildings to survive the destruction of campus near the end of the Civil War. Standing as a lasting reminder of the university's antebellum past, the house is preserved today as a museum dedicated to the legacy of the building's final residents, the Gorgas family.
Details
ISBN: 9781467123846
Format: Paperback
Publisher: Arcadia Publishing
Date:
State: Alabama
Series: Images of America
Images: 190
Pages: 128
Dimensions: 6.5 (w) x 9.25 (h)
Author
Erin E. Harney and Jun A. Ebersole utilize images from numerous sources, including the Library of Congress, W.S. Hoole Special Collections Library, University of Alabama Museums, University of the South Archives and Special Collections, and the Alabama Department of Archives and History, to tell the rich and complex history of the Gorgas House, the cornerstone of the University of Alabama campus. Harney, former director of the Gorgas House, is currently an archivist for the Alabama Power Company. Ebersole is currently director of collections at McWane Science Center in Birmingham.