Waterville
Or buy the eBook from one of these retailers
Following the Battle of Fallen Timbers in 1794 and the end of the War of 1812, the Maumee Valley became open to settlement. John Pray arrived in 1817, built a dam to run a mill, and the site became known as Pray’s Falls. By 1831, Pray had platted the first 50 lots and called it Waterville. Others were attracted to the area, and the trading post inn that Pray had constructed in 1828 was greatly enlarged in 1837. The Columbian House became an important stop on the stagecoach run between Fort Wayne and Detroit and the social center of the village. In 1843, when the Miami and Erie Canal opened through Waterville, there was an economic boom. The business center of town moved from Main Street (River Road) to Third Street, and the town was incorporated in 1882.
Arcadia Publishing
: 9781467125642
: Arcadia Publishing
: 08/28/2017
: Ohio
: Images of America
: 221 Black And White
: 128
: 6.5 (w) x 9.25 (h)
  • About the author
  • Reviews
  • Customer Reviews
  • More about this book
About the author
Phyllis Witzler and John and Verna Rose have been active members of the Waterville Historical Society and volunteers at Wakeman Archives since it opened in 2001. They have written articles for local publications and the society’s website and authored books on local history. This book provides the opportunity to present to the public the many photographs in the archives that tell the Waterville story.
Reviews
Customer Reviews
More about this book