• Overview
  • Details
  • Author
The town of Socorro got its name from the "succor" travelers found at the northern end of a 90-mile-long desert trail known as the Jornada del Muerto, the "Journey of the Dead Man," in central New Mexico. The village of Socorro, located at the site of the ancient 1600s Piro Pueblo, was first settled sometime around 1816 as an agricultural community. The discovery of silver at Socorro Peak and the Magdalena Mountains and the arrival of the railroad in 1880 brought boom times to the town. The demonetization of silver in 1893 was the end of Socorro's boom, and the community gradually reverted to its agricultural heritage. Reminders of days gone by can still be seen in Socorro. The Garcia Opera House, the Crown Mill, the Illinois Brewery, and several historic houses have been successfully preserved.
ISBN: 9781467132190
Format: Paperback
Publisher: Arcadia Publishing
State: New Mexico
Series: Images of America
Images: 192
Pages: 128
Dimensions: 6.5 (w) x 9.25 (h)
In addition to being a member of the Socorro County Historical Society, Baldwin G. Burr is president of the Valencia County Historical Society and is secretary of the Historical Society of New Mexico. Burr has compiled more than 180 photographs from the Socorro County Historical Society, the Joseph E. Smith Collection, the New Mexico Bureau of Geology and Mineral Resources, the New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology, and numerous private collectors to tell the story of Socorro and the surrounding area.