Skiing in Olympic National Park

  • Overview
  • Details
  • Author
  • More About This Book
With its glaciated peaks, temperate rain forests, and ocean wilderness, Olympic National Park has been called three parks in one. Efforts to protect and preserve these treasures began with the creation of a federal reserve in 1897, followed by a national monument in 1909, and then Olympic National Park in 1938. The 1920s and 1930s saw the building of many trails, shelters, and roads. In 1934, the US Forest Service completed a primitive road to the summit of Blue Mountain, affording skiing at Deer Park, and in 1957, the National Park Service completed an improved road to Hurricane Ridge. These two areas have offered alpine (lift-assisted) skiing to several generations. While these roads remain today, the recognition of the value of preserved wilderness has stopped road construction. In 1988, most of the park became federally designated wilderness. In 1981, Olympic National Park was designated a World Heritage Site.
ISBN: 9781467132480
Format: Paperback
Publisher: Arcadia Publishing
State: Washington
Series: Images of America
Images: 198
Pages: 128
Dimensions: 6.5 (w) x 9.25 (h)
Roger Merrill Oakes is a founder and past president of the Hurricane Ridge Winter Sports Club, which operates a small ski area within Olympic National Park. This book has been done with support from the cultural resource group at Olympic National Park and with the cooperation of many local skiers.
More About This Book