Historic Movie Theaters of Downtown Cleveland

$15.39
  • Overview
  • Details
  • Author
  • More About This Book
Overview
The first movie theaters in Cleveland consisted of converted storefronts with sawed-off telephone poles substituting for chairs and bedsheets acting as screens. In 1905, Clevelanders marveled at moving images at Rafferty's Monkey House while dodging real monkeys and raccoons that wandered freely through the bar. By the early 1920s, a collection of marvelous movie palaces like the Stillman Theater lined Euclid Avenue, but they survived for just two generations. Clevelanders united to save the State, Ohio and Allen Theaters, among others, as wrecking balls converged for demolition. Those that remain compose one of the nation's largest performing arts centers. Alan F. Dutka shares the remarkable histories of Cleveland's downtown movie theaters and their reemergence as community landmarks.
Details
ISBN: 9781467136464
Format: Paperback
Publisher: The History Press
Date:
State: Ohio
Series: Landmarks
Images: 114
Pages: 208
Dimensions: 6 (w) x 9 (h)
Author
Native Clevelander Alan Dutka is the author of five other Cleveland history titles: Misfortune on Cleveland's Millionaires' Row; AsiaTown Cleveland: From Tong Wars to Dim Sum; Cleveland Calamities: A History of Storm, Fire and Pestilence; East Fourth Street: The Rise, Decline, and Rebirth of an Urban Cleveland Street and Cleveland's Short Vincent: The Theatrical Grill and its Notorious Neighbors.
More About This Book