Wurlitzer of Cincinnati: The Name That Means Music To Millions

$21.99
  • Overview
  • Details
  • Author
Overview
Established in Cincinnati in 1856 by German immigrant Franz Rudolph Wurlitzer, the music dealer became the largest outlet for band instruments in the United States by 1865. During the silent film era in the early twentieth century, Wurlitzer manufactured nearly 2,250 theater organs, affectionately dubbed "Mighty Wurlitzers." Many of these instruments still provide concert music today. During the Big Band era of the 1930s to 1950s, the company's colorful coin-operated jukeboxes were such popular fixtures in bars and dance halls that the U.S. Postal Service honored them with a commemorative stamp. Although the company was sold in 1988, the Wurlitzer name continues to be held in high esteem by the city of Cincinnati.
Details
ISBN: 9781626194465
Format: Paperback
Publisher: The History Press
Date:
State: Ohio
Images: 131
Pages: 224
Dimensions: 6 (w) x 9 (h)
Author
Mark Palkovic has held the position of senior librarian and head, College-Conservatory of Music Library at the University of Cincinnati since 1981. A graduate of Ohio University majoring in music history, Palkovic has also served as associate editor of the American Harp Journal. He is a longtime member of the Cincinnati Men's Chorus and has performed with a wide variety of local and regional musical organizations.